Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 21-09-2005, 23:37   #1
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.
Default Can a keyboard crash a PC?

Past 2 weeks I had some weird blue-screen-of-death crashes on the PC I bought in Jan. Sometimes these crashes happen even with XP but a couple of times a day just is to much. Did all virus and spyware checks, finally concluded that everytime it happened I was just using the keyboard. Yes, it even happened a couple of times when I was simply typing plain text replying to a post here. Past couple of days I simply tried to crash the thing by other means like running heavy apps. continuously but the PC did not give in.

The fancy Logitech kb has been replaced with a decade old stock kb and a blue-screen-of-death hasn't occurred since.

How can a keyboard cause a PC to crash, is my analysis correct or am I missing something here?

TIA
Old 22-09-2005, 00:22   #2
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

My old pc would sometimes quit taking input from my keyboard. Everything else would be ok, so i could save my stuff using the mouse but I had to restart to get the PC to accept keyboard strokes again. This happened every few weeks, never bothered to check if another keyboard had the same effect, but I do think mobo/keyboard interaction can cause trouble.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 09:52   #3
digger760
King

A bad driver maybe?
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 22:06   #4
Beam
c00l b33r

Almost sure I found the suspect for the crashes. It is called ctfmon.exe and seems to be monitoring input devices including speech recognition. I don't wanna fucking Microshit prog monitoring any of my input devices and even less try to understand what I'm saying so it got its own little peace of cyberhell now.

System's been running like a Porsche Turbo on the Autobahn since the funeral.
Old 10-10-2005, 22:42   #5
Beam
c00l b33r

Despite the earlier optimism the problem isn't solved.

Got 3 blue screens tonight while attemping to post on the fora, this one is being typed on my laptop in an attempt to complete just one post tonight.

The shop where I got it recommended the following:
1 - Reinstall driver. Did so.
2 - Run anti-spyware, virusstuff, repair tools, regclean etc. Did all of that, most of it by 2 progs independant of each other.
3 - Reinstall XP from scratch. This means **EVERYTHING** must be reinstalled including all installation stuff for hardware etc. This will take me a couple of days.

Is 3. really the only option left? Something else worth trying? As stated in my first post keyboard swapping doesn't work, would a KB with a USB instead of a PS2 connection make a difference for example?

TIA

EDIT: the processes running after start-up with Firefox running as well.

65.74KB
Old 10-10-2005, 23:20   #6
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

You don't appear to run some spyware or other malignant problems. Probably atomic.exe and center.exe are some programs. Are you sure you have everything update, I mean Windows? If yes, then it might be some hardware malfunctioning. May be it is PS/2 (although extremely unlikely).

Actually, I'd say you have not enough processes running.
Old 11-10-2005, 00:01   #7
Beam
c00l b33r

The laptop is running double the processes but does not crash. Investigating center.exe. Atomic is a small utilityprog I've been using for years to sync the pc clock. Kinda nerdish.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:32   #8
Pastorius
Custard used tile

mantispm.exe (manti spam?)

AHA

so you are the dutch spammer that sends me "Free downloads" and such mail.

Old 25-10-2005, 20:20   #9
Beam
c00l b33r

This sucks. Just switched on the desktop and the BIOS doesn't see the primary master HD anymore. Since the HD has been working without a flaw and there wasn't any of the typical symptoms of a dying HD (noise, write problems, bad blocks etc.) AND the keyboard systemcrash issue the main suspect is the motherfuckerboard or did I miss something? It is a serial ATA HD btw.

Any diskette based progs I could try to do some diagnostics? MfB is ASUS A8V Deluxe.
Old 25-10-2005, 20:35   #10
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Can you boot to a system CD?

If otherwise everything is OK, may be it is IDE cable from MB to HDD? Just unplug it and plug back?

HDD failure does not necessarily have warnings. There might be that heads are ok just something was fried in the interface from HDD to IDE output.