Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 23-10-2008, 08:01   #131
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

My younger son recently (when he was 12, so last year) basically swallowed Lord of the Rings even though he can barely read what's on school program since he, for some reason, unlike his older brother (which reads everything), does not like to read. The book is quite good and classical and nicely complements the movies and is about a war and is very appropriate for children. Seriously.
Old 23-10-2008, 09:21   #132
socralynnek

What I read at that age was a book from writer Michael Ende, which is quite popular in Germany (very popular at that time). It is called "The neverending story", but I don't know if the English translation is good.

There is probably a short and a long version. The first half(= short version) is the better half, but the rest is worthwile as well.

It's about fantasy, imagination, friendship, boldlyness and whatever. The second part also tells something about responsibility, especially when having power.

Great book!
Old 23-10-2008, 10:00   #133
Shabbaman
Administrator

Starship troopers by Heinlein. A lot better than the movie, in fact, it's in a whole different league. I think it's the most militaristic book I've ever read. A SF classic. I think it's light on profanities and is without frontal nudity (unlike the film). It's been quite a while since I read it, so don't take my word for it.

LoTR is an option, I read that when I was that age. But it's more fantasy than a war novel.

I did some searching on what were my favorite books when I was a kid; some of these writers are dutch, like Jan Terlouw and Tonke Dragt, and only some of their work is translated. But there are foreign writers that are surely translated into english, like Roald Dahl and Astrid Lindgren. Try The Brothers Lionheart, it has knights and dragons. Should count as a war
Old 05-11-2008, 12:20   #134
Darkness

Well, I am totally finished with buying Sci-fi and fantasy books in Dutch book stores.

I was looking for a book recently and I couldn't find it in the Netherlands, so I decided to order it on amazon.com.
1 book (hardcover) + shipping fee (almost the same amount as the cost of the book) from the US to the Netherlands is actually cheaper than buying it in a Dutch bookstore. Next time I'll make a list and order a few at once. Should save me a significant amount of money.

Maybe I've said it before, but another recommendation: Jacqueline Carey's books about Terre d'Ange (Kushiel's Dart, etc.) Great read, though more alternate universe than real fantasy, about a whore getting involved in spying/politics...
Old 05-11-2008, 14:13   #135
col
King

Just finished Neal Stephenson's latest : Anathem.

Wonderful blend of classical and modern philosophy and hard core scifi.
One of the best things I've read in a long time.
Old 05-11-2008, 16:01   #136
grahamiam
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Just finished Neal Stephenson's latest : Anathem.

Wonderful blend of classical and modern philosophy and hard core scifi.
One of the best things I've read in a long time.
Noted. Thanks, I've been looking for some good scifi recently and I'll give it a shot!
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 11:50   #137
Dell19
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
If youre into hardcore space opera I'd recommend the Reality/Dysfunction/Neutronium Alchemist/Naked God - the Nights dawn series.
I do like Hamilton's books. Haven't re read any of them yet though which is an interesting test of just how enjoyable a book is and at the moment I'm finding the prospect of re reading several thousand pages quite daunting.

The Commonwealth series was good as well and probably has a better ending.

I've also read Fallen Dragon and Mindstar Rising which were both worth reading, plus the collection of short stories based around the Nights dawn series although it doesn't add much to the series. I haven't read the rest of the Greg Mandel series yet as Mindstar Rising lives as a standalone book rather than in the Nights Dawn and Commonwealth series.
Dell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 11:53   #138
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell19 View Post
at the moment I'm finding the prospect of re reading several thousand pages quite daunting.
You're not in a hurry are you? Hamilton has a new book btw.
Old 22-11-2008, 12:11   #139
Dell19
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
You're not in a hurry are you? Hamilton has a new book btw.
I guess its more that its a lot of pages to read when you already know whats going to happen and some story arcs would become a lot less engaging (i.e. The Blackhawk habitat).

I'm going to be reading Misspent youth next.
Dell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 11:29   #140
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
For fantasy:

- Steven Erikson: Malazin Empire
I've got to second this suggestion. I've just finished the first book of Erikson's Malazan books of the fallen series (Gardens of the Moon) and it was great. Very complex with many different storylines. Reading book 2 now (Deadhouse Gates) and this one is also very good.

Tags
cool stuff