Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Old 20-07-2007, 17:13   #61
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

The installer / patcher simply looks at default paths first and if it finds something there it is as happy as a pig in shit.
Old 20-07-2007, 20:10   #62
killercane
Prince

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Robi D

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by killercane

I spy... a potentially very powerful exploit that will be nerfed come patch time.
I'm guessing your talking about espionage, and its not exploitable in fact its briliant.

It doesn't work in absolute values but compares the amount of EP's two nations spend on each other and that varies the costs. For example greece and rome are spying on each other if they have both spent 50EP's on each other the spying mission values are equal if rome has spent 100EP's and greece 50 on each other then romes spying missions get cheaper and greece more expensive however if you spend too much EP's on 1 nation a third nation might get the jump on you so its a big balancing act. Plus you can always see what each nation has spent on each other in the new f4 screen so you can't get jumped. Alos you don't automatically see the graphs of people you meet you have to spend EP's to see that

I have to say its the 1st time ever my science slider left 100% after only 20 turns of the game
Well thats certainly one of the most powerful ones, theres a couple I have noticed. The problem is not with the addition of espionage in general, its just too darn powerful. A person can kill another before they know what hit them and without them being able to fight back with foment unhappiness (+8 unhappies in a town on normal speed for 8 turns). Especially if they have one of the target civ's neighbors target the other city with a spy as well, or turn up their spy slider. You probably can whip at most once when the stack double moves into your territory.

In the later game this wont be as big of a problem, but in the early game, if you dont go for Alphabet immediately you are screwed, and your neighbors if they are smart know this. I guess Ninjas ARE better than pirates after all huh?
killercane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 20:26   #63
Robboo
King

dam sounds like a whole new game... CIV 5 ?
Robboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 20:29   #64
BCLG100
Deity

Can only hope they tone it down a bit, theres enough to worry about it than freakin spies wandering around.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 09:52   #65
Robi D
King

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Robi D

Quote:

I spy... a potentially very powerful exploit that will be nerfed come patch time.
I'm guessing your talking about espionage, and its not exploitable in fact its briliant.

It doesn't work in absolute values but compares the amount of EP's two nations spend on each other and that varies the costs. For example greece and rome are spying on each other if they have both spent 50EP's on each other the spying mission values are equal if rome has spent 100EP's and greece 50 on each other then romes spying missions get cheaper and greece more expensive however if you spend too much EP's on 1 nation a third nation might get the jump on you so its a big balancing act. Plus you can always see what each nation has spent on each other in the new f4 screen so you can't get jumped. Alos you don't automatically see the graphs of people you meet you have to spend EP's to see that

I have to say its the 1st time ever my science slider left 100% after only 20 turns of the game
Well thats certainly one of the most powerful ones, theres a couple I have noticed. The problem is not with the addition of espionage in general, its just too darn powerful. A person can kill another before they know what hit them and without them being able to fight back with foment unhappiness (+8 unhappies in a town on normal speed for 8 turns). Especially if they have one of the target civ's neighbors target the other city with a spy as well, or turn up their spy slider. You probably can whip at most once when the stack double moves into your territory.

In the later game this wont be as big of a problem, but in the early game, if you dont go for Alphabet immediately you are screwed, and your neighbors if they are smart know this. I guess Ninjas ARE better than pirates after all huh?
That would take a lot of time to pull off and if your checking the balance of EP's spent then they can't catch you by surprise. From what i've seen i don't think its overpowered, its another option to try to reach a goal. It definately makes the game more intresting during the slower periods. At the end of the day have a whole load of troops is still the easiest way to do a lot of damage to someone. The one thing that does seem overpowerful from what other people have said (i'm just leaving the medieval era) is tactical nuke. It seem you can just build a whole bunch of these and be almost assured that no one can attack you successfully.

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 14:24   #66
Robboo
King

man come on monday.....

tactical nukes sound like an interesting option for invasions. Especially well dug in forces.
Old 22-07-2007, 06:03   #67
Robi D
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

man come on monday.....

tactical nukes sound like an interesting option for invasions. Especially well dug in forces.
I have to say from my point of view this is what civ4 should have been like from the begining. Its still early in my game (damn overtime at work) but everything looks great. Also with the AP bringing diplomacy into the game a lot eariler along with the spying means there are not too many dull turns, there is always something to look out for. Also the random events add a nice flavor to the game, they arn't big enough to change the course of a game but they can give it a nudge.

All in all i doubt to many people will be dissapointed.

Before i forget the final frontier scenario looks fantastic, still trying to work it out and will probably get owned by the AI at some point

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 20:49   #68
IglooDude

Okay gang, with Socralynnek winning the CDZ Grouphug game (still not sure why I started calling it that, but whatever), I've got another pitboss server freed up shortly.

Thus, in addition to the CivIVor: BtS and general tournament games I am planning, I should be able to fire up a CDZ-specific game as well. Only rule that I won't budge on (due to it causing me too much grief as game administrator otherwise) is that doublemoves are allowed. Other than that, anyone have any preference for settings?
Old 31-07-2007, 20:53   #69
Robboo
King

ID a think go for a continents game...this pangea stuff is getting old. So what if resources are not balanced, throws a bit of luck into things and helps to force people to do something other than get BW as soon as possible

Oh and I am interested in all 3 games or as many as I am allowed in.. I cant get enough pitboss...I am addicted.
Old 31-07-2007, 22:33   #70
mauer
King

Am I too late? I got bts in the mail yesterday. I'm patched and loaded
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote