Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ** Open thread forum **
Home

Old 30-11-2004, 18:47   #41
Kingreno

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anarres

KR - I like your purist intentions, but in some situations MapStat can save you (literally) hours of time each turn. If there is no spoiler then why not? BTW, I am really confused as to why you would not use tech calc - all it's doing is some sums that before I used to do by hand.
F8 now gives percentages on Domination, a very usefull thing. I am not aware of any other use of mapstat as I simply do not know it. But if you say it shows things like who has what techs that would insta-ban it for me.
As for techcalc, I have never used it in any game and do not miss it. I am maybe just not thorough enough in Civ as I do not do it by hand either, I just make a well educated guess about what my opponent has, or just ask on MSN (that is even easier then techcalc so in some next game I want to test it: Tell your opponent what you just researched!).
Old 30-11-2004, 19:05   #42
anarres
anarchist butcher

Well...

the debate is about *spoiler* info, and my question very clearly stated that if there was no spoiler info - what is the problem?

Your answer is that with spoiler info you won't use it, but that isn't what I asked.

Edit: FWIW I totally agree that using spoiler info is out of the question with regards to utilities, but again, that isn't what I am asking about at all.
Old 30-11-2004, 19:32   #43
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Just to check up and summarize with MapStat, I opened an old save from finished PBEM.

Info which can be considered spoiler:

1) Territory - city count. Appears that number shown is all cities of your opponent not only that you can see. With spoiler tab unckeched in File-Preferences-Spoiler or without.

2) Trading shows techs, gold, workers and resources available for trade. This is certainly not good.

Otherwise, it is OK. May be though I missed something else.

If Dianthus can fix this, that would be a great help. However, the version 2.8.0 should be banned at least here in this particular game apparently.
Old 30-11-2004, 20:12   #44
Kingreno

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Well...

the debate is about *spoiler* info, and my question very clearly stated that if there was no spoiler info - what is the problem?

Your answer is that with spoiler info you won't use it, but that isn't what I asked.
If a player feels he can learn things from a tool that plays with the numbers of the f11-screen (combined with techvalues), that is basicly ok IMO. Hope that (finaly) answers that question. []
Old 30-11-2004, 20:28   #45
anarres
anarchist butcher

akots - I wouldn't use it in any game unless you get permission from the other human players.

KR - I didn't mean to sound confrontational, I am genuinely interested in why you refuse to consider using non-spoiler utils, which can help a lot when playing.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:30   #46
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

Perhaps I'm sounding a bit too much like a certain ex-gotm moderator for some people here (I apoligize in advance if that's the case )
You don't, not at all.

After all, he was and you are right on the issue, as long as you don't (as he did) call the mod-MAKER a cheater
Old 01-12-2004, 09:20   #47
Aggie
Emperor

I completely understand why mapstat can be a spoiler for PBEM. However, I want to join the discussion and tell you what I like about the tool in SP games:

-During the Sid defiant game (MM1) we had a huge number of cities. With mapstat you can check out the moods of the citizens instantly. You can immediately see which cities are on the point of rioting
-During my 362x362 game with 31 civs (AG3) I could use mapstat to check out what new techs were known by the AI. Going through all the civs every freaking turn was unbearable. With mapstat you see it immediately.
-Mapstat tells you exactly how many tiles are needed to get to domination. Ever since the update of F8 this is less important to me though.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:56   #48
Stapel
Emperor

BTW,

Where is da save????

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:16   #49
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

not with me, I sent to KR a while ago.

KR, did you get it? weekendish, I think.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:32   #50
Stapel
Emperor

I have sent it to Alexander last monday. He usually informs if he played it to you, but hasn't done so yet.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote