Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Aggie's forum
Home

Old 26-01-2004, 14:35   #31
Aggie
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sir Eric

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

EDIT - more insight on my decision:

I already started to get bored with CIV3-PBEM last August.
That was around the time that you kicked my arse in the game that we played.
Dont tell me I sucked so badly that I put you off the game??
That means that since Killer is beating me too then he'll be the next one to go.
It'll be sad to see you not play anymore, well unti civ4.
I had played a lot of interesting games before I left to New Zealand. I liked the games vs Plux, Stapel, Eldakkar, Jack Merchant and you for example. But I started to notice that the games tended to have a certain pattern. I then tried games to go totally different ways, with variant rules. I tried it vs Jack Merchant (no stealing), Erikk (Space Race), Killer (amhpibious attacks) and Nightfa11 (berzerks for both). It didn't spice it up for me as I hoped it would.
Old 26-01-2004, 16:25   #32
yndy
Prince

What Aggie quitting PBEMs?

Yo, I wished I had so much time to play like you had, now let me make a suggestion, if you are a little bored of civ, try www.hattrick.org . It worked like a charm for me

I know i'm getting annoying with that but at least I'm not promising you hotel reservations. []
Old 20-02-2004, 11:58   #33
Aggie
Emperor

I understand now that another reason for ending my PBEM's has been the stress at work. I didn't notice it then, but I always went home drained and basically wanted to do nothing and lay on the couch. That for someone who enjoys to work out 3 times a week at least (running, climbing, squash) is unnatural behaviour.

I basically work for a terrible/cold/American management style company (to which I was outsourced). I see 6 years of hard work vanish before my eyes and have tried to repair/avoid catastrophe as much as possible. In Januari something happenend at work and it became obvious that we -the outsourced staff- had no power whatsoever to change things for the good.

I had been struggling with this for a month. Last week I made a decision: I will leave the company immediately OR they find me a better (quieter) position for a year. Why a year? Well, we have the opportunity to go back to our former employer in a year and their arrangement regarding resignation is much better. Because:

-You may search for a new job for 18 months while still getting payed
-If you find a new job that pays less, they compensate it for 4 years!

So I'm still stuck with this disaster of a company, but I will at least be more relaxed at work. I am still not completely the old Aggie, but I'm getting there. Who knows, I might even end my PBEM-freeze before too long. But I don't want to rush things, because that got me into trouble before...

Today I made my choices clear to my human resource manager and I feel very good about it
Old 20-02-2004, 12:11   #34
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

aggie, your mental well-being must come first - great to here you are getting there
Old 20-02-2004, 12:25   #35
anarres
anarchist butcher

Great news aggie. Unhappiness at work sucks big time, I am glad you have at least made headway...
Old 20-02-2004, 12:27   #36
ERIKK

Well done aggie!
You see it more and more that this management style is contraproductive.
Old 20-02-2004, 14:09   #37
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Good you realised this and acted upon it, I've seen some people burn out because they didn't take the actions you did. No company or job is more important than your health, both mentally and physically.
Old 20-02-2004, 14:24   #38
Plux
King

Ok, Aggie! Good to hear you're getting there . Sometimes it can be hard indeed to find out what's exactly bugging you in stressful situations. Of course, blaming the boss is always a solution
Old 21-02-2004, 00:03   #39
col
King

Smart.
Old 27-02-2004, 00:29   #40
Matrix
Administrator

A bit late to respond, but good luck, Aggie.
I've had experience with this kind of stress myself, where you don't want to do things you normally liked because you're already too burned out by your other responsibilities.

Please keep us posted!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

You see it more and more that this management style is contraproductive.
My aunt had quit her old job because she got into an arguement with her inferior superior. Now she's got a new job where she's got an arguement with her inferior superior. Luckily this time the superior of her superior is backing her up, but it's a perfect example in any case.