So true.
Old 27-05-2006, 13:42   #12
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Totally agree with Grandpa Stapel here
Old 27-05-2006, 17:03   #13
romeothemonk
King

Shabba, I can't believe that you are upset over 2 billion Euro's spent on nothing. We in the U.S. routinely lose that much in rounding errors.
As a guy that grew up around farms, and is now dabbling in the construction business, I can tell you that it is a really "good" idea from a long term standpoint. Most of the lots that people develop belong to some 65 year old farmer who is broke and whose wife gets cancer. He gets offered 2 million bucks for 200 acres, and boom, 300 new houses go up. Just preventing the erosion of the good land requires money to keep the developers out. Now, I am not sure that I would be an evil developer, as I am looking at 1 lot in an old grazing range in the Black Hills, but I can pay $71k for a 3.1 acre lot in the hills, or pay $60k for a 0.25 acre lot downtown with a house on it that I have to tear down and remove at another $18k.
The economics of preservation are important, and it is good to see that we aren't the only one's who try and fix stuff just by throwing money at it.
Old 27-05-2006, 17:15   #14
Shabbaman
Administrator

Ah...

Well, here in the Netherlands, 2 billion is actually a lot of money. A whole lot (you know, I actually work at the Ministry of Agriculture that is involved here, and the total annual budget is 1.5 billion euros).
I understand your economic insight, but the point is that that doesn't really apply here. The farmers could sell their land, but that still doesn't give someone the right to build houses on it. I can't even imagine on what they actually could spend that money on... The bigger issue is that preservation is indeed of importance, however, in my very humble opinion there's nothing except cows to preserve. That vision might have something to do with me coming from a different part of the country, where cows are in abundance...
Old 28-05-2006, 01:27   #15
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

2 billion available from the green heart, another 2,7 billion from the canceled / much disputed Zuiderzeelijn. That's a whopping 4,7 billion available! The government could easily get a good deal with Firaxis and give every citizen a free Civ copy and with the cash Firaxis can develop an even better release.

Politics made agriculture in Holland a problem and turned it down on the farmers having to spend more time now keeping the bureaucracy happy instead of doing what they are best at: farming. (And animal husbandary if you're a Civ addict )
Old 22-03-2007, 22:55   #16
Shabbaman
Administrator

http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/...t_in_schatkist