Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ** Open thread forum **
Home

Old 17-12-2004, 04:46   #121
Justus II

MI-6, the British intelligence agency, was disappointed to learn our spy had been killed. However, new efforts are underway to infiltrate the Japanese High Command.

The Commonwealth launched a combined amphibious assault on Palau this month. After the bombardment of half a dozen cruisers and 5 fighter-bombers, the lead MG battalions were wounded, and 2 bombers were destroyed on the ground. Then two waves of Marines followed ashore. The defenders, totalling 2 MG battalions, 3 infantry regiments, and 2 flak regiments, were no match for the onslaught. One marine regiment was lost vs. a tough infantry unit, but two others earned Elite status.

After bombardment seemed to reveal Sangko. was down to a lone paratroop defender, the tanks were sent in over the hills. The first tank unit was defeated at the city walls, and more air support was requested to re-supress the defender, but the second tank brigade succeeded in taking the city.

At Kudat, a combination of naval bombardment (x4) and RAF sorties (6) sank the remnants of the Japanese East Indies fleet, a cruiser and 3 transports. No planes were lost, but some citizens were inadvertently killed.

Justus II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 14:35   #122
Dell19
King

Quote:
quote:I hope you have all good fun, even Dell, which i'm hammering ...
:cry

This turn we destroyed the roads between the capital and Chengdu.
Dell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 22:40   #123
Rcoutme

As it comes down to the wire...the Dutch didn't do too much...

The vp's (for any lurkers) stand at: Japan: 31,100 Allies: 21,980
Rcoutme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 01:08   #124
Arghis

China

- Ningsia

Walls destroyed by artillery
MG Bat damaged by artillery x4
Inf damaged by artillery

Inf killed by tanks x5
Inf killed by inf x4
MG bat killed by army x3

Ningsia captured

- Near Chengdu

Inf damaged by artillery & killed by inf

1 worker captured

- Near Chunking

Tanks damaged by artillery

Commonwealth

- Near Sangkoelirang

POW killed by paratroopers

- Palau

CA damaged by naval artillery

- Sangkoelirang

Jap bomber shot down by interceptors
Zero shot down by interceptors

Tanks killed by marine

Sangkoelirang captured

US

- Near Truk

CA damaged by fighter-bombers
CV damaged by fighter-bombers
Old 18-12-2004, 02:35   #125
romeothemonk
King

American Technology at work. A pair of screenies for lurkers.

101.46KB
And after

95KB
I lost 2 bombers and 1 Heavy bomber this turn and only damaged a F-B
Old 18-12-2004, 05:30   #126
Justus II

A frantic turn for the Commonwealth, as they sought to take advantage of the American's "Shock and Awe" campaign to hit Japan hard and fast. In a few cases, it was costly.

Davao
Although the Royal Marines were confused by the recent training in something called a 'Radiation Suit', they were grateful when they saw the strange mushroom-shaped cloud rising over Davao, and were ordered to charge ashore. Within the city, 3 dazed Nipponese infantry were dispatched quickly by the Marines, and a Zero was destroyed on the ground. Once ashore, however, they were suprised to see assorted units surrounding the town. A total of 5 more infantry regiments and a flak unit were on the outskirts of the city, also badly wounded by the radiation. A few cruisers opened up to suppress the two that weren't already near death. More marines and some ANZAC infantry were ferried ashore from Palau, and all the survivors were killed, with the loss of one Marine.

Sangkolering
A bomber and F/B sank a transport off the coast, and several waves of F/Bs damaged three marines defending the city.

Manila
Thanks to US intel, tipping us off that Manila was only defended by some unreliable conscripts, the Marines were called upon once again to storm ashore. Due to commitments in other areas, there wasn't time for a thorough preparatory bombardment, and so one Marine was lost, but 4 infantry were killed and the city was taken.

Pnom Penh
With British tanks finally starting to arrive in decent numbers, it was time for another attempt to break out of the Saigon beachhead. After naval bombardment crippled an MG and infantry unit guarding the Elephant preserve, an ANZAC and Medium Tank finished them off, and then a Light tank moved in to tear up the roads.

After numerous aircraft pounded the city itself, shooting down one Zero that attempted to intercept, the Armor Corps attacked, but were repulsed with heavy losses. One Medium and two Light Tanks were destroyed, while 3 Nipponese infantry were also killed. More forces were moved into position for further attacks.

Elsewhere, artillery from Mandalay wounded an infantry in the mountains, and a Royal Navy sub was lost attacking a Jap sub north of Palau.
Old 18-12-2004, 14:52   #127
Arghis

The less i can say is that the result of a nuclear bombing is rather impressive !

@Justus : could tell me about ToS; i've just read the info on the last version (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106893), and it seems a very interesting scenario ?

When we've finished this one, i propose that we play a ToS v3 PBEM. I'd like to play the Japanese, again, so as to better see the differences and try some variation from this first experiment (for me)

Who's going in with me ?
Old 18-12-2004, 17:35   #128
Justus II

Basically, Typhoon of Steel (ToS) is a more realistic version of this same scenario. Some of the key differences:
Destroyers no longer have transport (allows them to get mobilize bonus, less Marine raids)
NO AIRLIFT except for Paratroopers, makes it much harder to get troops to the front (but more realistic)
Japan starts with NO OIL (Or Rubber either, IIRC). Really simulates the pressure they have to attack fast to grab some
Several smaller bases (Wake, Guam, some of the dutch cities) aren't cities, they weren't really that big, so they are replaced by airfields, and in some cases radar towers.
More detailed tech tree, about double the number of techs
Some older ships (Cruisers, IIRC) require Coal and Iron rather than Oil to build
More variety in planes especially (dive bombers, torpedo bombers, Anti-Sub planes). Also new ships, like advanced cruisers, fast battleships, super-battleships, etc.
Turn scale is slower, 2 weeks/turn.
Naval movement rates are adjusted, but coastal tiles take 2 mp each, which slows ships down around the islands.

I'm still playing through my first ToS PBEM (as the Dutch, not that exciting) but it definitely has more of a wargame feel to it, you have to plan further in advance as things take longer to accomplish. (No AP either, BTW). A good game, though, if you prefer realism and are willing to learn a few new details. I'd be glad to play after this one.
Old 18-12-2004, 22:13   #129
Rcoutme

The Royal Dutch Marines finished off the remaining Japanese defenders in Sangkoelirang and liberated their city once and for all. They took only light casualties (one or two hp) after shelling the defenders down to 1 hp each (from artillery and CA's).

One intrepid RDM attacked the city of Kudat and did damage to an elite unit but was wiped out.
Old 19-12-2004, 02:20   #130
Rcoutme

Not that I expect this game to last all that much longer, but I now am using a new email address for pbems. It is Rcoutme at gmail dot com