Old 30-06-2003, 16:55   #111
digger760
King

did you forget mine?
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2003, 17:09   #112
anarres
anarchist butcher

digger - it was added to the lsit as 'digger2', I just set your profgile to use it (you can edit your profile form the 'Members' link at the top of the page).
Old 01-07-2003, 11:04   #113
Ribannah

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

Fixed all avatars in my coffee break. PSP5 has some problem generating transparent back grounds so they dont look to good imo. Maybe someone else can fix this.
Thanks but yes, it doesn't look that good. Maybe also because the original is .jpg and you made a .gif image? Or doesn't .jpg allow transparency? Hmm. Anyone?

PS: A version of the large image with transparent background would also be nice to have. Isn't there a paint program somewhere that simply allows a color to be changed into transparent?
Old 01-07-2003, 13:05   #114
digger760
King

jpg don't do transparency, but gifs do. The problem with your image is that is is difficult to convert that grey to transparent, because if you look closely at it all is not all the same shade of grey.
Old 01-07-2003, 13:23   #115
digger760
King

ok,

I played i had a few spare minutes during my lunch break so i played about with the image. I made all the back ground one colour although close to the edge of the image i could'nt be bothered to much cos it is hard work change all the pixels there.

The problem is the image is to detailed and once you resize it to 64x64 alot of the pixels are merged into 1, so you loose the detail you had.

Anyway here is what i did. slight better background anyway

4.3KB

if you save the 64x64 image as a bmp you can edit each pixel in paint brush, you might be able to make the picture clearer in 64x64...but you'd have to have lots of patients.
Old 01-07-2003, 13:27   #116
digger760
King

if you zoom up that 64x64 image you can see what has happened to the pixels

9.54KB
Old 01-07-2003, 13:32   #117
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Ribannah. As digger says jpg dont allow tranparancy, gifs do. The trick ( at least in PSP5) is to change the background to a single color and tell the programm to make that color transparant. Kinda tricky for images with lots of color because then part of the picture gets transparant also. I fixed the background color when the image was still large but making it smaller fucked up the single color background.

I can upload Diggers version which looks quite ok imo. (It's much better than my version anyway!) If you want I can look at it more closely and experiment with different methods of making the image smaller and manually adjusting the border coloring. This takes quite some time and I won't get to that before my holiday. So you would need to exercise some patience till the end of July.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 13:42   #118
DrAlimentado

Ribbanah, here ya go:

56.73KB

4.76KB

PSP7, for BG's with slightly different shades flood-fill it with a different colour with tolerance set to 20% or so, then do the transparency.
DrAlimentado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 13:48   #119
anarres
anarchist butcher

DrA, can you also lighten it up? I'm sure there must be a brightness/contrast control in there somewhere...
Old 01-07-2003, 13:55   #120
DrAlimentado

bleh, I needn't have bothered! still, it takes all of 2 minutes, so no loss

digger - use flood-fill instead of doing it by hand... works just fine unless your flooding up to a colour that is too close to the one your replacing (ie. if the border was dark grey)

PP, the reason the bg colour changed to being non-single colour is because you resized when it was a 32k colour jpg, if you decreased colour depth to 256 colours before the resize it would have stayed single colour. It's worth playing with the different colour conversions to see which palette works best, octree or median-cut usually give better results than 'web-safe'.

I haven't manually altered the border to make it rounder which as you can see from Digger's zoom-up will make a slight difference...
DrAlimentado is offline   Reply With Quote