View Single Post
Old 02-02-2004, 02:02   #4
Bootstoots

Quote:
quote:
4823 spectators arrived at La Bombonera, where weather conditions were pretty good for football. Tricampeon had chosen a strategic 3-4-3 formation. They fielded: Dowdy - Larios, Michaels, Kline - Colombo, Unger, Fitch, Sheehan - Parker, Leary, Wolf.

Yellow tactics involved an interesting 3-5-2 combination. The following players had been chosen: Åhnmo - Haas, Knott, Harley - Brunner, Borgstedt, Wahl, Esparza, Cody - Tomlin, Burney.

Tricampeon saw most attack opportunites on the wings and were directing their passes that way. Yellow saw most attack opportunites on the wings and were directing their passes that way. Yellow´s Randy Knott gave the visitors a 0 - 1 lead in the 7:th minute with a superb strike from the right. In the 11th minute Yellows Omar Cody received a yellow card for going into a challenge studs first. Some fine manouvering on the left lead to an 22nd minute Yellow goal, making it 0 - 2. Jonas Borgstedt was noted down as the scorer. Tricampeon had obvious problems in finding their positions. The referee showed Yellows Theodore Burney the yellow card after a particularly nasty challenge. Warren Dowdy kept the home side in the game with a magnificient save, as Omar Cody delivered an almost perfect free kick to the far cross bar. After several obvious shirt pulling incidents, Tricampeon´s Orlando Larios got himself booked. In the 43rd minute the visitors put themselves ahead 0 - 3 as Billie Tomlin finished off an attack from the left with a spectacular scissors kick. By now Yellow were drawing the troops back in order to defend their lead. Tricampeon appeared unsure on how to play. The teams went for a half-time break at 0 - 3. Yellow held the ball, with a clear 70 percent possession rate.

Tricampeon -coach had an extra briefing during the break, and after that his players looked a lot more organized. Some fine manouvering on the left lead to an 58:th minute Yellow goal, making it 0 - 4. Theodore Burney was noted down as the scorer. The game had been on for 74 minutes when Trevor Esparza broke through to the right, upping the score to the home crowd´s dismay. Yellow´s were up 0 - 5. Trevor Esparza wasn´t fit enough for a full game made several mistakes out of sheer tiredness. One of them was exploited by Terrance Fitch who squeezed in 1-5. After 82 minutes of game time Billie Tomlin received an excellent opportunity to add to the visitors lead, clipping a volley hooked in from the right, but Warren Dowdy was in the right place, tipping the ball to a corner. The referee showed Tricampeons Joseph Unger the yellow card after a particularly nasty challenge. 83 minutes into the game Magnus Åhnmo had to leave the pitch due to a knee injury. In came Victor Baicu. After 83 minutes a combination in the middle resulted in a through ball for Theodore Burney who increased Yellow´s lead to 1 - 6. Tricampeon seemed to suffer a certain amount of confusion about the organization of the team. The fortyfive minutes were dominated by Yellow, with an impressive 72 percent possession of the ball.

Tricampeon´s best player was Franklin Wolf. However, Orlando Larios made a disastrous appearance. Yellow´s best player was Billie Tomlin. Paul Wahl on the other hand, had a terrible day. The match ends 1 - 6.
Finally, a high-scoring win. This is the first match where I scored more than 2 goals. This was against an easy team, they rank seventh in my series, but it was a high-scoring win nonetheless (I had only a 0-2 win against the last-ranked team in the series). Unfortunately, one of my better players (Burney) is suspended due to getting a third yellow card and my new goalie got injured, but only for one week. It looks like 3-5-2 does pay off, even though I still had a wretched midfield (but it was facing a disastrous one). My next match is against the fourth-ranked team; they are fairly good but I think I can pull off a victory.
Bootstoots is offline   Reply With Quote