Thread: Game mechanics
View Single Post
Old 15-12-2003, 16:04   #3
yndy
Prince

OK, this is what I got (a lot similar to what you say).
You start with 11 players with all of their skills. There are 7 compartments (I can’t find a more suitable name): Midfield then 3 Defense (Left, Central and Right) and 3 Attack (Left, Central and Right).

At the end of the match you get the rating of each of them. The rating is calculated by the relevant skills of some of your players. You get that information right in the rules for example
Quote:
quote: Attack Rightwing
Winger right winger
Scoring forwards
Passing right winger
Passing right inner midfielder
Winger right wing back
What one needs to determine is the approximate importance of each skill for a given position. For example I put some numbers by the skills and an individual rating:
Winger right wing 100% (winger is set offensive) – passable winger (6)
Scoring forwards 50% (both forwards are normal) – passable forward (6) & inad forward (5)
Passing right winger 50% - weak winger (4)
Passing right inner mid 30% (middie is set normal) – weak (4)
Winger right wing back 0% (wing back plays defensive) – does not matter

I do not take into account stamina for this example. The calculations work as:
100% * 6 + 50% * (6+5) + 50% * 4 + 30% * 4=14.7 I divide it by the sum of percentages (100% + 50% + 50% +30%) = 230% and I get 6.39, or a passable right wing rating. You might add a bonus here for player experience, one for coach (if offensive minded or normal) and maybe others ?

Say you got all your ratings and there’s a match. There are 5 normal scoring opportunities every half of the game (this determined by the fact that there were no more than 10 normal goals in any match ever). For each opportunity there is a probability of assigning it to each of the two teams. This probability is dependant on midfield rating alone. If one team has a passable midfield and the other has a weak one, the probability for the first team is 60% 6/(6+4) and 40% for the other.

After the opportunity has been assigned, comes the determination of the side of the attack. Based on several posts of HT-Bjorn, the probabilities are most likely as follows: Left side attack: 25%; Right side attack: 25%, Central attack: 40%; Free kick (incl penalty): 10%.

After the determination of the side you either score or not based on the quality of your attack and the opponent defense. For a passable left side attack against an excellent right side defense you get a 43% chance for a goal 6/6+8. I’ve seen no confirmation for this, I came up with it myself based on the above. For a free-kick the calculation is probably different involving the set pieces and experience of the taker and the goaltending and experience of the keeper.

This was the way, the game worked initially. With time, the HT-people spiced it to add specialties bringing chance of events to score goals in excess of the basic 10. Now with the tactics you can increase a percentage for a decrease in another as well as negate opportunities with pressing, or make them count twice with counter-attack.