View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 09:24   #4
Shabbaman
Administrator

Bandwith throttling is frowned upon, and with the existing infrastructure there's no need for it anyway. Well, outside mobile networks that is, but that'll change now they finally started to roll out LTE. In two years time, bandwith will not be the problem. Having large bandwith while having small data plans is... pointless. The average data plan is currently 200 MB (for 10 euro's at the larger providers, 5 euro's at smaller providers but with limited download/upload speed), even if the bandwith would allow streaming video you can watch a single TV show each month. Pointless. The whole pricing issue is maddening.

What is a problem is that the current law allows access restrictions to sites that facilitate it's users to break the law: hence TPB blockade. This is not net neutrality, but it's closely linked to it. Personally I don't mind throttling if it's necessary for network performance, but I don't like censorship.

There's something to be said about how it's illegal to link to downloadable content, but it's a weak argument because the damage is done by those who upload the content (the release groups, I don't mean the seeders) and the downloaders (the end users). And even then: downloading video and audio is legal in the Netherlands.

By the way, I don't believe downloading is a victimless crime. Considering the wealth positions of me and the victim it makes me feel like Robin Hood though.